Sunday, June 24, 2012

Winning at the Dog Track - Should You Cover Your Bets


Greyhound Dog Racing Tips.

Every once in awhile, it happens to every greyhound handicapper. We make our bets, walk back to our seat and realize that we've left out a dog who looks really good. That's when a lot of people walk back up to the window and put a "side bet" on the dog, just to cover their bets.

I used to do that and, truth to tell, it probably cost me hundreds of dollars before I wised up. Rather than covering my bets, I realized over the years, that side bets are just betting against myself. But back in the days when I'd actually bet two dogs to win in one race, I just thought that I was covering all the angles.

True, once in awhile, you can bet two dogs, have one of them win and make money. (I cover that in my Marks Method System.) But, except for these special situations, if you pick the right dog in the first place and then bet it to win, you'll make out better. Those side bets can add up. I've had nights when I've made so many side bets that I didn't have enough money to bet what I'd intended to bet - dogs that I'd handicapped. Dogs that came in while I stood there with empty pockets.

Side bets are a drain on your bankroll and a distraction. If you look at any race for long enough, you can talk yourself into thinking that almost any dog has a chance to come in. That's why I think it's best to go over your program, make your choices and stick with them.

If you let someone talk you into betting on a dog, or you look at the odds board and see a dog going off at long odds, or you second-guess yourself all the time, you can go broke with side bets. True you might miss a good thing once in awhile, but over the long run, they don't pay off.

Of course, we tend to notice the ones that come in, and forget all the other ones that didn't come in. That's why it's important to keep records. I'm just like anyone else. I can convince myself of almost anything, but the records I keep don't lie. Best of all, they don't let me lie to myself about side bets or anything else that I've handicapped.

Greyhound Dog Racing.