Saturday, June 2, 2012

Remember to Forget This and Win More at the Dog Track


Greyhound Dog Racing Tips.

Having a good memory is a very useful thing at the dog track. It can help you win, but it can also trap you into losing if you don't know which memories to pay attention to and which memories to let go of.

I found this out long ago when I was spending a lot of time at a New England track with some very good dogs. That spring, there happened to be several litters of very promising puppies in M and J races.

I've always enjoyed watching puppies start out at the dog track, so I went often and watched them and took notes. I do this with puppies, so that I'll be one of the first to know when one or a litter of them is worth betting on in future.

That spring, I bet a lot of money on young dogs. Then, throughout the summer and fall, I continued to watch those dogs, some of whom were now up in the top grades. I had made good money on them in M and J, so I didn't see why I couldn't continue to make money on them as they matured into Grade A dogs.

Well, it didn't work out that way. Somehow, dogs that I remembered as being good, started to lose. Others didn't run the way I thought they'd run and just missed being in the money.

Worse, some of the dogs that had been in M and J beat the dogs that I followed, even though they hadn't beat them in M and J and had taken longer to get up into the top grades. I was flummoxed.

How the heck could this be happening when I had put so much time into following these dogs? Then it hit me. While I had been paying such close attention to a small number of puppies as they moved up through the grades, I had missed a lot of other dogs and races.

Not only that, but I had stopped taking notes on all my bets because I was so focused on these dogs and, besides, I felt like I knew them. I didn't need notes to remember what had happened in each race. Or I thought I didn't.

When I started keeping notes on every bet I made again, I realized that it's impossible to remember what happened with every bet you make. It's also less likely that you'll remember what happened in a race that you don't have a bet on, unless you write it down right after it happens. Or even WHILE it's happening.

Greyhound Dog Racing.