Friday, June 15, 2012

When Greyhound Racing is Boring


Greyhound Dog Racing Tips.

After almost forty years of going to the dogs - dog races, that is - I still never get tired of watching them run. Once in awhile though, I get stale. I wake up in the morning and realize that going to the track just doesn't appeal to me that particular day.

Or I get to the track and lose interest in the outcome of some of the races and go home early. Of course, in spite of my interest in it, greyhound racing isn't the only thing I have going on in my life. I have family, friends, hobbies and interests.

I read a lot. I love to spend time outside. There are many alternatives to dog racing that I can choose from. But sometimes, I still want to do something greyhound-related, just not handicapping or betting. That's when I turn to The Greyhound Breeding and Racing Database.

It's online and it has tons of information about all aspects of greyhound racing. It covers other countries besides the US, including the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand. It has statistics on dogs from all over the world and it's sorted by track and country.

You can check out your favorite track or your favorite dog. Or you can do what I do and read the forum posts from dog owners, trainers and breeders and racing fans from all over the world. The first place I go is usually the breeding forum, where you can read about new litters and greyhound breeding history.

I had no idea that before DNA testing, the only way to tell if a dog was really bred with the dog it was supposed to be bred with, was by seeing which colors its puppies turned out to be. The old-timers knew if a dog had "bred true" even without the science we use today.

By the time I've read my way through the files, I'm refreshed and have seen some likely looking dogs that I'd like to bet on in the near future. Also, I look at the puppies to see which ones are doing well and then I make a note of who their litter mates are. I've done very well betting puppies before the public realizes that one of their litter mates has done very well at another track.

So, next time you get a bit jaded with going to the track, spend some time online at the database and see if it doesn't "freshen you up" so to speak. Like they say, A change is as good as a rest.

Greyhound Dog Racing.