Wednesday, May 23, 2012

How to Pick a Winner at the Dog Track With a Simple Trick


Greyhound Dog Racing Tips.

If you handicap by picking the best dog out of 8 in a greyhound race, there's a common problem. Many times, there are two dogs that look just as good. You don't want to bet them both. That would be betting against yourself. So what do you do?

There are a few options, but this is the one that has worked the best for me over the years. I compare them with a little list I've come up with. Then, if they're still evenly matched, I look for the one thing that indicates that one of them is more likely to come in this time.

First, I look at their class, running style, post position in this race as compared to their last race, post position that they like and whether they're in form right now. If there doesn't seem to be any difference between them based on those things, I look for any little thing that one has going for it that the other doesn't.

Usually, when I handicap greyhound races I don't take minor factors into account. But when it gets down to two dogs who are evenly matched, I look at things like age, kennel standing, time of their last race etc. If one of them is 3 yrs old and the other is older, I'll go with the younger dog.

I'll look to see if either of them has won a race by several lengths recently, gained position on the leaders in a fast race or is from a kennel that is burning up the track at the moment. I even check to see if one of them has had more days between races than the other. That can actually make a difference sometimes.

If I look at all these factors and can't find any significant differences, there are two options that I see. I can lay off the race and find another race I like better. Or I can play them in a quiniela, which is what I usually do.

I never play two dogs to win if they're evenly matched. There are some other rare situations when I play two dogs to win, but this isn't one of them and I don't recommend it. Check for any advantage one has over the other and if there isn't one, play them in a quiniela or don't play them.

Greyhound Dog Racing.