Sunday, May 20, 2012

How to Change Just One Little Thing and Win at the Dog Track


Greyhound Dog Racing Tips.

If you're reading this, you're interested in making more money at the dog track. Or maybe you're even more interested in not losing any more money at the dog track, which isn't exactly the same thing. At any rate, what you'd like to know is what one little thing there is that you don't know that's keeping you from winning rather than losing at the dog track.

I spent several years with the same feeling. I kept sensing that I was missing something at the dog track, by just a little bit. It wasn't that I picked losers or didn't have a clue. It was more like I could put together most of the handicapping puzzle, except for one that last little piece that I couldn't find. You know the feeling, right?

One day, I was handicapping a race and having trouble concentrating, because I was hungry. I'd gotten a late start that day and hadn't had time for lunch. Then, when I got to the track, I didn't have much time to go over my program, so I put off eating until I had finished the program. On I went, getting more and more hungry, but determined to finish going over the program like a good handicapper does, no matter how distracted they are by...

That's when it hit me. I suddenly knew what the one little thing was that was going to rob me of some of my winnings that day. Hunger. No one can think as well when they're hungry, but I was trying to do something that takes tremendous concentration on an empty stomach. There was no way I could handicap as well hungry as I could with a hot dog or a sandwich in my belly.

So, I went and got something to eat and put down my program while I ate it. Then I handicapped the first few races slowly and carefully, not worrying if I couldn't get to all of the races. I did pretty well that day, but that wasn't the best thing to come out of that track trip. The best thing was realizing one of the things that I can change in order to give myself the best advantage when it comes to handicapping.

Another time, it might be that I'm tired. I didn't get enough sleep the day before, but I want to get to the track early, so I don't take a nap. Instead of lying back in my recliner for a half hour, I go to the track and try to handicap when I'm yawning and falling asleep in my front seat in the sun. Have you ever done that?

Well, next time it happens, put down your program and take twenty minutes to rest your eyes, your body and your brain. When you open your eyes, you'll find that you can think clearer and are more able to pick out the data that you need to pick winners.

There are a lot of "little things" that make a big difference to being a winner or a loser when you go to the dog track. If you're distracted by marital problems or financial woes, you might as well stay home unless you can straighten out those things before you go to the track.

If you're sick or have a cold, it's not a good time to try to handicap a program. How many times have you gone to the track with a head cold and then wondered why you were there instead of home on the couch with a cup of tea and a box of tissues? If you can't think, you can't win.

If there's some little thing that's taking your mind off your handicapping - no matter how small it is - don't try to go over your program until you take care of whatever it is. You need all of your attention and your focus on that program when you make the choices that win or lose you money.

Greyhound Dog Racing.