Sunday, May 13, 2012

Greyhound Racing Tips - The Next Best Thing to a Sure Thing


Greyhound Dog Racing Tips.

I'll start by saying that there's no such thing as a sure thing at the greyhound track. I don't care how good a dog is, there's always a better dog waiting somewhere down the line. And accidents and mistakes happen to the best dogs. However, there's one kind of dog that is almost certain to make you money, if you can find it.

When I go to the track, I've already done my homework. I don't just go in, grab a program and handicap at the last minute. One reason I download a program the day before I go at the latest, is so that I can check the dogs on the Greyhound Database online. Or so that I can check them in my past programs, which I keep in stacks, by track, near my desk in my computer room. This makes housekeeping a little difficult, but it's worth it to be able to consult them when I need to.

What am I looking for when I go through the old programs or the database? Well, I look at several things, but the most important piece of information is one that you can't always find in the six races on today's program. I'm trying to find out if the dog that I like in today's race has ever won at this grade and distance in the past.

When I find a race with one or more of these dogs, I make a note of it on the program. At the track, I look at the odds and - if they're favorable - I'll bet those dogs to win and place or in exotics. I can't tell you how many times I've cashed tickets on these "Been There Done That" dogs or BTDT's as I call them.

They may not look that good in their last six races. They may not have the fastest times compared to the other dogs. They may not look classy, if you can't see their previous races where they competed at this level. But my philosophy is "if they did it once, they can do it again" and I'm often proven right.

Next time, before you go to the track, download your program early and check out the database or old programs and see if you can find some BTDT's for yourself. There's nothing nicer than seeing your longshot cross the finish line first, while the crowd around you tries to figure out why the dog won when it looked lousy in the program. They'd know if they took the time to look back a few races, but very few of them do, which is why those of us who do walk to the window while they stand there scratching their heads and wondering what happened.

Greyhound Dog Racing.