Monday, May 7, 2012

Greyhound Handicapping - Your Winning Style


Greyhound Dog Racing Tips.

Everyone has his or her own style of doing things. Some of us are really neat and some of us are sloppy. Some of us go over our programs with a fine tooth comb and some of us rush through it with just a glance at the dogs. It's all a matter of how you're comfortable doing things.

I'm a neat freak. I like to be organized and know where everything is and take my time doing things. It can take me over an hour to go over ten races. This drives my friend, Willie, to distraction. By the time I've handicapped five races, he's done the whole program and handicapped a harness race, too. Me, I like to take my time.

If I rush, I make mistakes. If Willie goes too slowly, he makes mistakes. He just can't slow down or he loses the thread of what he's doing. He's sharp and he notices things right away. I'm not so sharp and have to kind of mull things over before I can make sense of them.

Willie and I both get to the same place in the end. We both pick enough winners to make a profit on most programs. But we do it with our own unique styles. From time to time, I've tried handicapping fast and it just didn't work for me.

And there have been times when Willie has decided that he needs to be more thorough and take his time to handicap and that was a disaster for him too. It's just not possible to change your personal way of doing things. So, if you're a speedy processor and your brain can make sense of a program in minutes, why take hours?

But if you're like me and need time to do a good job of handicapping, don't try to do it just before the races go off. Get your program early, so you can go over it in peace and quiet at home. Take your time and digest the information and process it your own way.

The bottom line is that we have to do what works for us to make money at the dog track. If you're trying to change your style because you think someone else's is better, you just might want to think twice. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is broke, though, and you're not making money, it might not be your style. It might be your handicapping method that's the problem.

Greyhound Dog Racing.