Monday, May 14, 2012

Greyhound Rescue


Greyhound Dog Racing Tips.

I have worked with dogs for most of my adult life, both in canine behaviour and in my capacity as a pet sitter. During that time many breeds have passed through my hands.

I currently walk two ex -racing Greyhounds. A male called Nero, and a female called Lisa. I recall fondly our first meeting when Nero gazed up at me with absolute trust, and the sweetness of Lisa once she had learned to trust me. It never ceases to amaze me whenever we venture out for our daily walk, how I get asked the same basic questions. "Are they vicious because they wear muzzles?" "I expect they need loads of exercise"? "I couldn't have one because I have a cat"!

Let me assure you that Greyhounds make WONDERFUL pets. They are loyal, intelligent, affectionate and so laid back! Contrary to popular belief, with care, they can also live quite happily with cats.

It is a common misconception that Greyhounds that race for a living, are treated well. Sadly, this is not always the case. Too many are confined in small cages, and never shown any affection. After brief careers when they are no longer profitable, and difficult to place as pets, they are often destroyed. Yet these beautiful creatures have an amazing capacity for forgiveness. I once trod on Nero's foot by mistake and his eyes looked up at me as he nuzzled my hand, as if to say he understood that I meant him no harm.

What I found really heartbreaking was my recent visit to the RSPCA re-homing center at Blackberry Farm I had gone there to make a short broadcast for BBC Three Counties Radio, and couldn't help noticing the amount of Greyhounds up for re-homing. I asked one of the Kennel maids if I could take a photograph will a view to broadcasting their plight. A small brindle bitch was led mournfully out of her kennel and she looked up to me, her large brown eyes pleading me to take her home. Had I not got an insanely jealous GSD at home, I would have bundled her straight into my car!

I would ask anyone who is considering re-homing a dog in the foreseeable future, to please consider a Greyhound. All they crave is to be loved, and given the chance and they will reward you a thousand fold.

Save the Greyhounds

Retired racing greyhounds make the most amazing companion dogs one can imagine. They adapt to the "couch potato" life very quickly and are pretty easy to train. They love having a job, i.e., teach them to do some tricks -- for treats if they are food motivated. A simple sit, down, bow, stand, roll over. Once your greyhound gets the hang of that, he may persist in making this an every-day ritual by barking incessantly until you give in and provide him with the one-on-one attention he wants. (No, greyhounds do not normally bark very much. But once they learn to manipulate you, look out!) They really are not very demanding. Overall, they are very low maintenance, easy keepers.

Greyhounds also do very well as therapy dogs. They enjoy human companionship a lot and do not really need very much in the way of training for this kind of activity. They do need to be certified but that, too, is easy. Just check with your local hospice group to get the information you might need to get your pup certified. Greyhounds are a good height for people in wheelchairs to pet, and also the bed-ridden patients. Convalescing patients and the elderly enjoy the pet visits. Medical reports have for a long time pointed out the calming effects of animals with patients, by lowering blood pressure and respiration.

It seems that these elegant creatures frequently prefer people to other canines. When someone starts petting my guy, or giving him 'scratches' behind his ears, he looks like he's in heaven. The nose goes up into the air and the eyes almost close as he enjoys the affection. He will lean against that person or lay his head in their lap. They are pretty cuddly too. But they do well with children and other pets. Most greyhound rescue groups state on their websites which greyhounds are cat-friendly and/or small dog friendly.

You will not regret taking such a loving, affectionate dog into your heart, your home, and your family, whether you adopt one or several.

Adopt a retired racing greyhound and you will have a fast friend for life!

Greyhound Dog Racing.