Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Handicapping Dogs - A Tip To Make You More Money


Greyhound Dog Racing Tips.

Greyhound handicapping is hard, but some of us make it even harder. We have our own way of looking at what success at the track is and it actually keeps us from having success. Let me explain what I mean by that.

It took me almost 20 years to realize that what I expected from greyhound handicapping wasn't really what I wanted from it. Even after I developed a couple of really good systems - ones that helped me pick winners on a regular basis - I didn't think I was a successful handicapper. It wasn't that they didn't pick winners; it was that they didn't pick them often enough on a program to suit me.

I'd pick a winner in the first race and then get antsy and frustrated when I didn't have another one until the fourth race. Or I'd handicap a dog to win and it would go off at ridiculously short odds so even if it won, I'd only make 80 cents on my $2 bet. I felt like a loser, even though I was hitting more winners than almost everyone around me.

One day, I started thinking about all of this as I went over my old programs. And as I looked at the dogs my methods had picked, and the odds they went off at, it hit me. It wasn't that my handicapping wasn't a success. It was. I was just playing it wrong and confusing quantity with quality.

I realized that it's really unrealistic to expect any system to pick a winner in every race. And it's not smart to bet on dogs that go off at ridiculously low odds. So, from that day onward, I changed my expectations, changed the way I bet and became a successful handicapper.

Now, I pick and choose the races I play. I don't play T races. I don't play races where the favorite is at less than 3-2 unless I can figure out a likely exotic bet that will pay off. I don't play dashes and I don't play marathons. Dashes are a matter of who gets out first and luck, in my opinion. Marathons aren't run often enough to be able to handicap the dogs properly.

The systems and methods I use average several winners on a program and I cherry-pick the best of these and play them to win and in quinielas, exactas and sometimes trifectas if I'm doing well that day. That's my advice to anyone who wants to be a real success at greyhound handicapping. Be selective. Don't have unrealistic expectations and think that you'll have a winner in every race.

Play the races you handicap the best and not the T races that are set up by the track. Watch the odds and make sure a bet is worth the risk before you make it. Real success is picking enough winners to make a profit, not picking a low-priced winner in almost every race and losing money.

Greyhound Dog Racing.