Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Greyhound Handicapping Q And A


Greyhound Dog Racing Tips.

One of the nicest parts of doing what I do is reading the emails I get from fellow handicappers. One of my recent emails came from someone I'll call C. who handicaps Wheeling in West Virginia.

She has some questions about the terms that chart writers use. "What does it mean when they say that a dog 'bore in'," she asked. "And if the chart writer says "good run ins" and the dog comes in 4th from the 3 box and then wins next time, does that mean it likes to run inside near the rail?"

Well, C., I'm glad you asked, although it's not always possible to know exactly what a chart writer means by what they write. Greyhound races happen so fast that even the best chart writers occasionally miss things or get the wrong impression of what happens on the turn or whatever.

Usually, if a greyhound "bore in" it means that it veered suddenly over to the inside of the track, possibly right in front of the other dogs and also possibly causing an accident.

And, yes, if a dog has a line that says "good run ins" and comes in when it's in an inside box, that means it likes to run the inside. Of course, don't forget that some dogs can run inside and mid track or even outside, but most dogs prefer to run on one or the other.

Also, remember that not all dogs that run inside like inside boxes. There are some that prefer to start from mid track and go over to the rail. There are also dogs that like to go wide or outside on corners, but then run inside or mid track.

I always take the chart writer's remarks with a grain of salt and try to watch as many races, myself as I can. I make notes on my program, especially if I notice a dog that likes to start from one part of the track and veers to another part of the track. Although most chart writers are very good, it's best to trust your own observations also.

Greyhound Dog Racing.