Saturday, May 5, 2012

Greyhound Handicapping - Why You Should Know Your Track


Greyhound Dog Racing Tips.

Way back before satellite and cable made it possible to bet on any track in the US from any other track or OTB parlor, we old-timers bet on live races at our local track. There were usually ten of them on a program and it was enough for us at the time.

Now, there are so many tracks and so many choices that it's bewildering sometimes. Some people like all the different tracks on offer, but other people find it too confusing to bet more than two or three. Heck, there are even some old dinosaurs, like me, who still tend to stick with one track at a time. Do you know why?

Well, in my case, I guess it's because I find that - to make money - I need to know a few things about the track I bet on. I want to know what condition the track is in, for one thing. I want to know what the track bias is on any particular day and whether the inside is soft or rock hard.

If it's soft, I know that railrunners are going to have a really hard time winning today. If it's rock hard and there are races with inside runners in inside post positions, I'm all over them and know that I'll have a profit at the end of the day.

There are other factors that I check on at whatever track I decide to wager on from day to day, but you get the gist. It would be impossible for me to figure out the conditions at several tracks in the time it takes to handicap each program. That's why I stick with one track at a time - and rarely - two tracks that I'm familiar with.

I've gone astray once in awhile and played several tracks, only to find that I couldn't really pay enough attention to what was happening at any of them. I lost my shirt on those days and it didn't take me long to smarten up.

That's why I say that smart bettors stick with one track and learn all its quirks, its dogs and its angles. This is the way to increase your odds of beating that particular track. Leave the others for another time.

Greyhound Dog Racing.