Friday, May 4, 2012

Greyhound Handicapping - When Is a Place Bet Better Than a Win Bet


Greyhound Dog Racing Tips.

Do you bet dogs to win? Do you play them to win and place? How about show? We all have our preferred wagers, but most of us pretty much stick to one type of bet for our non-exotic plays. I used to only put my money on win, ignoring place and show. Then I realized that a lot of the dogs I picked came in second at pretty good odds, so I added place bets if I thought the odds and the pool showed that they'd pay at least enough to cover my wagers if they came in.

I've never made money on show bets, so I stopped playing them a long time ago, unless a dog is at really long odds so that a show bet will pay more than most do. But one day, when a dog I liked was a big favorite, I discovered something about how good place bets can be in certain situations.

I always watch the pools and, to my surprise, there was almost no action in the place pool for the big favorite. Everyone was playing it to win and in exotics, but apparently no one thought it would come in second. My theory is that any dog, no matter how good it looks, can fade or stumble or just not quite have the energy to come in first, so I put a little bit on the favorite to place instead of playing it to win, which would have paid peanuts.

Well, it DID place and I made more on my place bet than I would have made if I had played it to win and it had won. Much more. That's when I realized that I had a spot play. Since then, I've cashed tickets on this play many times. Whenever there's a big favorite in a race, I look to see how many people are playing it to place. If it's all out of proportion to the win pool, I play a place bet. If it wins, I might not get much, but I'll get my money back.

And if it places, I'll do very well. This is one of the many spot plays that I've found by watching the dogs, the board and the changing patterns in greyhound racing. Keep your eyes open and you can spot these things too and add them to your greyhound handicapping toolbox.

Greyhound Dog Racing.