Thursday, April 26, 2012

Greyhound Handicapping - Its Not Who You Know, Its What You Know That the Other Bettors Dont


Greyhound Dog Racing Tips.

Yesterday, I posted a couple of dogs on my Watch Dog list. Two of them placed and one showed. That might not sound too impressive, but when I looked at the payoffs, I was happy. Rico's Red Bull, the 7 dog in the 1st race at Tri-State on 1/19,� paid $13.40 to place and the quiniela paid $26.80. His litter mate, Rico's Lipton in the 1 box in race 4 at Tri-State that evening, paid $6.40 to place and the quiniela was $66.40.

I watched the replay of race 1 and noticed several things about Rico's Red Bull. He got out well, not first, but second or third. He likes the inside, but was able to run mid-track when he had to. I liked the way he hugged the inside on corners and the way he kept going when he got bumped by the 6, EverettTheGreat, who finally got out of M by winning this race. I'm keeping Rico's Red Bull on my Watch Dog list and will play him next time out, as long as it looks like a good setup for him.

When I watched the replay of Rico's Lipton, I noticed several things also. He didn't get out very well, but he just kept running right up the rail for most of the race. However, he was so far back, I couldn't see how he could manage to place in the time that was left unless all the other dogs faded.

Well, he had other ideas. In the stretch, he apparently realized that hugging the rail wasn't going to work, so he made a move to the outside, ran around all the other dogs and just managed to nip place at the wire. He ran a lot farther than they did, and still managed to get in there for second.

I'm keeping my eye on this guy. He may have just gotten lucky this time, but he might just be smarter than the average bear - er - dog. Rico's Lipton and Rico's Red Bull are out of a litter by Dragon Fire and JR's Pure Luck and I'm keeping an eye on the other six dogs in that litter also. You might want to do the same, but if you do, don't just look for "Rico's" dogs.

There are 164 dogs with "Rico's" in their name, on the active greyhound list at Trackinfo.com. From Rico's Abbey to Rico's Zew. Some of them have well-known sires like Kiowa Sweet Trey whose litter with Gable Vermilion includes Rico's Burgundy who paid $85.20 to win in the 15th race on last night's program.

To confuse the issue, there was another Gable Vermilion litter with similar names, only they were sired by Flying Stanley, a very good dog also. Flying Burgundy, Claret, Magenta and Scarlet have done very well, but I'm glad Kiowa Sweet Trey was chosen to sire the next litter. I happened to notice Kiowa Sweet Trey and Gable Vermilion's names on the program in the last race and had a hunch that their puppy, Rico's Burgundy, was worth backing.

Up until the very last step, it looked like he wouldn't make it, but he nipped Blazin Toddie right at the wire. If I wasn't such an avid researcher, there's no way I would have given Rico's Burgundy a second glance, even for show. Obviously, very few of the people watching that race - or most races - researches the dogs, which is fine with me.

I put most of what I find up on my , but not all of them. It's not that I want to keep the "good ones" for myself. Sometimes, I'm not sure if a litter will turn out to be worth following or not, so I wait until one of them runs a good race. I guess I don't need to tell you that the first thing I did this morning is add Rico's Burgundy and his litter mates to my Watch Dog list.

If you have time on your hands, spend a few hours building a list of young dogs to watch. Start with your favorite, local track. Maybe next time you go to the track, you'll be the one cashing on an $85 winner while your friends wonder how the heck you knew it was going to come in.

Greyhound Dog Racing.