Monday, April 30, 2012

Greyhound Handicapping - Think Outside the Box


Greyhound Dog Racing Tips.

My usual advice to greyhound handicappers is to stick with tried and true methods. Well, that's still my advice, but there are times when we all need to get away from routine. We get into a rut and our usual methods just aren't making it anymore.

Maybe it's because we've done it so often, that we're not as sharp as we need to be to handicap successfully. For whatever reason, when this happens to you, don't just keep muddling through. Do something about it right away before it drains your bank account - and your enjoyment of dog racing.

Here's what I do when I get into a slump. First of all, I take a day off and go fishing or somewhere else outside where I can have some quiet time away from the crowd at the track. I bring a good lunch, kick back and just relax for a day.

The next day, when I download a program, I go over it like I usually do, but then I do something else that I don't usually do. I look at the kennel stats. I look at the post position stats. I look at every piece of information that I can find in the program and on the track's website.

Then I go over the races with this new information in mind, looking at dogs from the top kennel to see if any of them look promising. I do the same thing with the top post positions. If the 1 box has been hot lately, I look at dogs in the 1 box to see if I can find any that look good in that position.

It's not that I think that every dog from the top kennels is going to come in. And it's definitely not that I think that, if the 1 box is hot, every race will be won by a 1. But, when I'm bored with my usual methods, I use a handicapping style that relies on extras.

If there's a good dog in the 1 box - a dog from one of the top kennels. And if the 1 box is hot, doesn't it make sense that this dog has something extra going for it? Two extra things: top kennel and top box. So, why not handicap it like it has an extra chance of coming in?

You don't have to use kennel or post position statistics. You can use whatever you want. Just look for dogs that have something extra going for them because of some information that you find in the program or on the web site. Add it to your usual handicapping method and you might find that your interest in handicapping - and your percentage of winning tickets - increases immensely.

Greyhound Dog Racing.