Friday, May 25, 2012

How to Test a Greyhound Handicapping System


Greyhound Dog Racing Tips.

A good greyhound handicapping system can make the difference between going home a winner or driving home knowing that you're down a hundred bucks. Again. If you find one, you're very lucky, because many of them aren't worth the paper you print them out on.

However, there are some that can actually help you make money at the track. How do you know which kind you have? Well, try it out, of course. But won't that cost money if it loses? And even if the thing DOES work, it's pretty likely that it'll take some getting used to. So how do you try out a new system on real races without risking any money?

The way I do it is by using old programs I save or by downloading programs for past performances and then downloading the results of those races. I put the results aside so that I won't "cheat" and I handicap the races using the system, just the way I'd do it if I were at the dog track.

Then I compare the results. If the system made a profit, even a small one, I know that I've found a good thing. Any kind of profit is an indication that the method works. And I've found that if I can find something that works, I can make it work better to the point where I'm making good money with it.

If it doesn't make a profit over the course of as many programs as you can stand to go over, it doesn't mean it's a dud. It might mean that you need to get better at using it or give it a little tweak to make it fit your track.

It might even be that the type of bet you're making doesn't fit the system. I use a trifecta system that I developed when I tried to tweak my quiniela system. The little tweak I discovered didn't work on the quiniela system, but it sure did make my trifecta system work better.

Tweaking a system is how I discovered all of my handicapping methods and you can do the same thing. Just make sure that you test each system on paper before you use it for real. If it doesn't work after a good trial, then you know that it's not the system for you.

But if it does work, don't just use it and rest on your oars. Make it better. Look for other angles and try it at different tracks with several types of bets. Remember that good handicappers never stop looking for ways to make good things better. That applies to systems and to everything in life.

Greyhound Dog Racing.