Thursday, May 24, 2012

How to Pick Winning Dogs at Multiple Tracks


Greyhound Dog Racing Tips.

Sometimes, I miss the "good old days" of greyhound racing when live racing at one track was your only option if you wanted to play the dogs. There were no slots, no card rooms, no simulcasts. You bought your program. You watched ten live races and you went home.

At the time, it seemed like enough to most of the people who went to the track. Most tracks had both matinee and evening performances, so you could usually get in 20 races at least three or four times a week. That would never satisfy bettors now, would it?

The tracks I go to have many days when they have no live racing, only simulcasts. I miss the live racing and it'll always be my first choice, but I like the choices I get from having more tracks to choose from. In the old days, if the live races at your track weren't too hot, you had the choice of playing them or going home. Nowadays, if you don't like the races at a track, there are several others that might have something you want to bet on.

But with the addition of more tracks, comes more chances to make mistakes if you don't pay close attention to what's going on at every track that you're following. Myself, I can bet on two to three tracks, but not every race, without having a problem. But if I try to keep up with more than that or bet every race on the cards, I get lost.

Most people, from what I've seen, if they're decent handicappers, can handle up to 3 tracks. Some people - and I think you have to have ADHD - can handle up to 5, but not every race. If you're going to play more than one track, it's crucial that you have a system and follow it closely. It's easy to miss something and then it seems like you can never get back on top of things.

I keep track of when the races go off at each track and write it in big numbers at the top of the pages of the races I want to bet on at that track. That way, I don't suddenly realize that I have one minute to get my bet in. Ideally, I like to make my bets in advance, so that I can concentrate on the races and replays, instead of trying to bet and pay attention to the monitors at the same time.

When I'm betting more than one track, I don't socialize until I have all my bets down. I've found that talking to other people and listening to them can really mess up my system. I save it for before and after the races.

I keep records for each track by making notes on each race and then taking my program home so I can go over it later. I make notes as I watch the replay also. I find that I notice a lot more when the race is over and I'm not so focused on the dogs that I bet on. I can take in the whole race during the replay and see what happened to all the dogs.

More races bring more opportunities to win - and lose, of course. Take advantage of multiple tracks by using a good handicapping system and you'll have more chances to cash tickets.

Greyhound Dog Racing.